Before starting your project, you need to prepare your thread (or floss), which involves separating the strands. We don’t want you in a terrible tangle, so here is our super easy no-knot method:
- First cut your thread to the desired length. If you try and separate directly from the skein, you may have a knotted nightmare on your hands!
- Hold the ends between your thumb and forefinger - give yourself about an inch of thread above your fingers
- With your other thumb and forefinger, pinch the end of one strand and gently pull upwards
- The remaining strands in your hand should start to curl and gather together - this is normal so don’t worry!
- Keep pulling one strand until it has totally separated from the bunch
- Lay the strand flat on your table, and smooth down the remaining strands
- Repeat this process as many times as needed, until you have the number of strands required for your project.
The number of strands to use depends on your fabric and what effect you want to achieve. If you have purchased a kit, the instructions will tell you how many to use.
Article is closed for comments.